Re: xinetd bind to same port on multiple IPs

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 03:28:29PM +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying run different servers on different addresses but the same port.
> I have "generic" pidentd listening on wildcard addresses (0.0.0.0) and want
> different ident server listen on different address (192.168.0.1).
>
> However xinetd does not allow me to do that and it seems linux kernel does
> the same:
>
> xinetd[31311]: service: ident id: ident is unique but
> its identical to service: ident id: ident-cgiirc - DISABLING
>
> 06/11/7@15:24:57: ERROR: 32411 {activate_normal} bind failed (Address
> already in use (errno = 98)). service = ident
>
> Where is the problem? I thought i CAN have multiple servbices running on
> multiple addresses, even if one of them is wildcard. Can I get this
> behaviour somehow?

What you want is not possible.  Binding to 0.0.0.0 is the same as
binding to *every* address, not just *any* address.  Once you have bound
to 0.0.0.0 on a port, future bind attempts to that port on any address
will fail, as you have come to find out.  You will need to bind a
different pidentd to each address (or one to one address and another to
the other addresses, excluding 0.0.0.0).

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez