Re: etc partially deleted

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 02:55:52PM +0100, Carlos Ojea wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I recently deleted part of my /etc by mistake.
> I wish to hear your advice about how to proceed to recover the system.
> I have /home and / in different partitions and I also tried to copy
> the missing /etc archives from another computer (but I didn't try to
> reboot yet)

What about your /etc/ backup from _this_ computer?  Use mc, enter the
tar file you made before this happened, and copy necessary stuff back.

The problem with copying /etc from another computer is that /etc is
computer-specific, or at least some of it is.  So you'll need to examine
each file before you copy it.  Any programs on this computer that aren't
on the other computer may look for something in /etc that isn't there.
They should probably be reinstalled.  For that you can use aptitude and
the 'L' key to ask for a reinstall.

Until this is fixed, I hope you have a good UPS and a set of
installation media that works on this computer, just in case.

Also, since the system is at risk until this is sorted out, ensure that
you have a complete set of backups and make a new set just before you
smoke-test your fix by rebooting.  You are at some risk of needing to do
a fresh install so be prepared.

Good luck.

Doug.