Re: Installation of further packages

stephan.sens wrote:
> My name is Stephan and I have a problem installing further packaged of
> debian on my computer.
> Unfortunately I have no Linux background and I am not able to install
> further packages?!

aptitude install <packagename>

is all that you need to do (as root) to install <packagename>.

aptitude install kde

would install the kde graphical user desktop and everything required to
run it.

aptitude install gnome

would do the same for gnome, another graphical user desktop environment.

aptitude install debian-reference-en

will install a debian reference manual to /usr/share/doc/Debian/reference/

Replacing '-en' by '-de' in the above line would install a German
translation of the 'Debian-Referenz'.

If you just run 'aptitude' (without any argument), you will get a
selection system, that shows all available and installed packages. You
can navigate this system with your keyboard and manually search
packages, select them for installation and finally install.

> Sorry to bother you but I couldn't find an answer to my basic question even
> not in my books which deals more with SUSE or Red-Hat.

Suse or Red-Hat have a different package management system (rpm);
however most people (including me) consider Debian's deb-system much
superior.

> They make it easy just to mount CD1, CD2, . but I would like to build the
> system from scratch.

Why?

Since you claim that you have no linux background, I suggest that you
first get a working linux system. Once you are more familiar with the
basics of linux, you could start to compile and use your own packages.
Once you are familiar with building your own packages, you might try to
build your own system from scratch.

Once you learn to use debian, I'm sure you wouldn't want to do so;
considering how much work it is to configure all your packages from
scratch and how good the job of the thousands of debian maintainers is
in doing it all for you!

HTH, good luck,

Johannes