Re: Installation of further packages

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

> Unfortunately I have no Linux background and I am not able to install further
> packages?!
>
> My thinking was to download the first three ISO Binary images 31r3 on CD and
> start from there but it looks like that the right format is .deb or tar.gz.  It
> was possible to unzip tar.gz files but after ./configure some error messages
> were displayed telling me compilers ect. are missing.
>
> What is the right installation procedure of the packages to build up a system
> from scratch able to office programs, to have internet access, be able to
> print?  What can I do with these three iso binary images? Any use of 1.8GB of
> data and if yes, how can I use them?
>
> Sorry to bother you but I couldn’t find an answer to my basic question even not
> in my books which deals more with SUSE or Red-Hat.
>
> They make it easy just to mount CD1, CD2, … but I would like to build the
> system from scratch.
If you have no background why do you try to build your system from
scratch.
I know that there is a project to create debian from scratch but the
only "real" from scratch system is gentoo (aik).

> If there is any book you can recommend, please, do so!  English books are
> welcome!
http://www.debian.org/doc/books

CU

  Michael

--
    ,''`.   Michael Ott, e-mail: michael at zolnott dot de
   : :' :   Debian SID on Thinkpad T43: