Re: laptop display

Hello. I just installed Debian Etch on an old laptop (IBM Thinkpad 770). It works okay, but the image is half the screen size. It's a centred box within the larger screen. How do I make it full size? I tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", thinking that changing the resolution might help, but, it did not help. I suspect it's something to do with the laptop. This is the first laptop I've ever had. All suggestions are appreciated.

Mark
Thanks for the answers I've gotten. I did look on the internet, and found a manual for the Thinkpad 770, which suggested pressing Fn-F8 (Fn is this keyboard's mod4). This worked with the initial bootup text, which became fullscreen, but once the xserver started, it went back to being a smaller square. I'm going to see if changing the resolution would help. It's currently set at 800X600.

The file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, reads:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Trident Microsystems Cybyer 9397"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"

Default Depth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024X768" "800X600" "640X480"
EndSubSection

I use either Gnome, or Ion3. In the Gnome screen resolution preferences, there is no option for 1024X768, however. Further, I feel that full screen display should not matter on whether "1024X768", "800X600", or "640X480" modes are used. However, when, in Gnome, I change the resolution from "800X600" to "640X480", it also changes the display size of the square, along with with size within the square.

Trying dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg doesn't work. It doesn't allow changes to screen resolution, and, any changes I make are overridden anyway.

Again, all suggestions are appreciated.

I still haven't figured this one out. I found a site on this at http://mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de/~mfluch/tp770.html, but it refers to an older version of Debian. I'm using Etch.
If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Mark