Re: elegance vs. one-lineness (Was: quick scripting question - finding occurrence in many lines)

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 01:34:30PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

    Depends on what you define as elegant.

when I was learning to program (mid 80's), we considered anything
outside of brute force to be elegant. Also, anything non-obvious was
also considered elegant. Anything that used a side-effect was NOT
considered elegant because you couldn't tell from reading the code
what it was actually doing (one reason I struggle with C).
The idea was to be short, sweet, not-brute-forced, and caused one to
say "ah ha!" after a couple read throughs.

The ultimate in elegance is Forth. And the ultimate in Forth, circa 1980, was polyForth.

RLH