Re: what's up with all the attitude

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 00:32 -0800, David A. wrote:

> Oh - attitude... I read aptitude! :P
> I've been a debian-user 1.5 year now and my impression is that the
> comunity is big and lot's of competent and experienced people - mostly
> friendly too.

Remember that you have thousands and thousands of people conversing over
a delayed medium without the benefit of tone of voice or facial
expression. That in and of itself could create a civil war in a buddhist
temple.

> BUT.. There is some sour itchy feelings regarding some plicy/political
> stuff and diffrences in opinion. I've also felt "debian morale" going
> down. But my impression is that the huge bulk, the big momentum of
> Debian keeps on turning and monving in the right direction. No "medium
> size conflicts" risk jepordizing the big projekt.

I'm not saying Debian will become a victim of its own success as a free
community driven OS, but the more who use it, the more ego and
personality you introduce into the community. The fact that dynamics
continue on the lists, forums (and what have you) indicates its success
as a community driven OS.

Given the number of people on those lists / forums (and what have you's)
vs the number of "spats" , I'd say its an enormous success.

If you ever feel Debian is tripping over its own shoe laces, compare it
to congress .. you'll feel much better :)

> /da.

Best,
-Tim