Re: linux-image-k7 & nvidia-glx

Am Sonntag, 5. November 2006 20:59 schrieb Florian Kulzer:
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 20:27:14 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 5. November 2006 20:20 schrieb Benjamí Villoslada:
> > > El Diumenge 05 Novembre 2006 19:37, Hans-J. Ullrich va escriure:

> > > For wheat reason 4th step and not "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart" (or
> > > gdm restart) at 6th step?
> >
> > Well, this is just for stesting. So you can see, why something does not
> > start. kdm and similar hides the errors.
> >
> > With startx you can see them,. Later, when everything works fine, just
> > move the binaries back.
>
> It is not necessary to remove /etc/init.d/[xgk]dm. Just use CTRL + ALT +
> F1 to switch to a console, log in, become root and run
>
> /etc/init.d/[xgk]dm stop

This does not work with i.e. ATI-.driver ! When you stop kdm, then the screen
becomes black and you cannot see anything.

> (sudo is also possible, of course)
>
> Then, as a normal user (!), run startx and diagnose/fix your problem.
>
> When you are done you can shut down X and run
>
> /etc/init.d/[xgk]dm start

That is exactly, what I intended to forbid: starting kdm.
> to get your graphical log-in screen back. (Remember to log out from the
> console after that or append " && exit" to the start command.)

With removing the window-login-manager you can see everything, you can
manually load the kernel-module, then start X, and finally, you can see what
happns during starting X, even things, /etc/Xorg.log does not show. This way
I could find out, that my fglrx-driver switches to software rendering. This
never appeared in any log.

I do not intend to excuse my way, but IMO it is the best way to find ourt,
what really happens.

Well, meanwhile Thilo got his system working, so it is not necessary any more
to talk about these problems. I guess, everybody has his own way, of
troubleshooting. For me this way has proved to be the best. :))

Best regards

Hans