Re: xorg , xfree86?

ChadDavis wrote:
Hey there. What X system does my recent (installed yesterday ) debian etch system use? Isn't there adifference between xfree86 and xorg? The docs I found on the debian site are for xfree86 but my system seems to have X11 / xorg stuff on it? Sort me out if I'm clueless.

Etch uses xorg, but you may encounter artifacts of xfree86, this being the tail-end of a transition period. The primary difference which I have noticed is a significant simplification of the keyboard layout scheme; xorg is cleaner and easier to modify than is xfree86. But beware! Until a month or so ago, you could mess up your system on a royal scale by making changes to xfree86 even though xorg is in use. But with each release, the xfree86 code is being removed. If you are a Dvorak user, xorg now provides the "classic" Dvorak layout, as well as the "modified" Dvorak layout. The classic layout is the original scheme, which was devised by Dvorak about 1936; the modified layout is a severely-compromised scheme which was standardized by ANSI about 1981. (It is appears that the members of the ANSI committee were not touch typists, or else were coerced; hence, their failure to standardize the original Dvorak layout.) The classic Dvorak layout has been available in Debian for a year or two for the virtual console.
RLH