Re: Non english filesnames and unicode

On Saturday 04 November 2006 21:45, Micha Feigin wrote:
> My system is configured to work in unicode at the moment and I'm working
> with urxvt. I have a directory with a few hebrew file names. using ls shows
> all question marks. Trying tab completion shows jiberish. using the
> jiberish doesn't work to access the files and using the ??? doesn't work
> either. How do I configure the system to show the file names? (when using a
> hebrew keyboard I see the hebrew characters on screen, so it seems that
> it's using 3 different encodings, one for ls, one for tab completion and
> one for input.

Cannot answer this question. However:
KDE's "Konsole" can be set to use various encodings. 1255
(Windows-Hebrew/English) works (sort of--typing a Hebrew file name is strange
at best, but) I can use a Hebrew file name.
This file name will not display in Konqueror, regardless of the encoding I set
there (does not offer Unicode but does offer 1255).
Hebrew file names also will not display on the desktop.

I would assume the completion schemes do not really work with Unicode or
anything else. Too many folks program for only good old US English.

urxvt -- there are several Unicode rxvt packages on Debian with varying
capabilities. Which one are you using and do you recommend? Do they replace
the normal xterm when one is not using KDE or such?