Re: seting up outgoing mail (smtp) on home system (adsl)

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 02:32:02PM -0300, Rodrigo Paes wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:14:16 +0100
> "ae roy roy" <ae.roy@operamail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to send system-mail (mail that otherwise is sent to root@localhost) to my real mailadresse, which I read all the time. My outgoing smtp-server that I use is mail.lyse.no.
>
> have you tried sending yourself an email from cli before going into that ?

Good point.

> there is a good chance that your mail server will drop it because it's
> a "dsl" or "cable" IP range address, some servers reject connections
> from IPs whose reverse DNS lookup doesn't look kosher... or even worst
> which is my case, your service provider may be blocking outbound tcp
> sessions on port 25...

If your ISP has SMTP server, they shoud recieve mail and forward to
outside.  Even if they do not use port 25, message submission port
should exist.  Also they may use SMTP-AUTH these days.  These can be
dealt with by EXIM.

Read your ISP's guide for connecting with outlook or some mail cliant
software which they usually do.  If they have funny port there, you have
to use it.  As long as your EXIM behaves like outlook, they will
get it.

Read README.Debian for exim4 for SMTP-AUTH.
/etc/exim4/passwd.client is one to set AUTH password etc.

SSL port are usually open so if you really want to be secure, send mail
through SSL and run EXIM to recieve it by yourself.  Or just encrypt
your mail.

So port 25 blocking should not stop you sending mail outside with MTA.

Osamu