x.org and unplugged hotplug devices

Hi,

    I'm having one usability issue with a debian workstation FAI image I'm
trying to set up.

    The "/dev/input/mice" device only exists when a mouse is actually
plugged in. When X is running, you can unplug/plug the mouse back in and
things will still work. But when the mouse is unplugged at boot, X fails to
start because it can't find /dev/input/mice.

    Is there some way to tell X, "hey, don't worry if you don't have a mouse
right now, just keep an eye on /dev/input/mice and if it decides to show up
you can use it"?

    Thanks,
        Tyler