Problems with Wine on Debian AMD 64

Hi ,

I'm a total noob to linux so bare with me, I've had a friend help me
through alot of this so far.
I am trying to get 'wine' installed with 32bit libraries in order to
run some 32 bit applications.

Initially I started with installing ia32-libs and ia32-libs-dev
packages as per http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit
using apt-get.
After this we checked the symlinks as per http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit
Downloaded the source files,  ran configure and than make when the
below message is returned.

"Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf64-x86-64
(/usr/lib/libsicuuc.a(ubidi.ao)) to format elf32-i386 (gdi32.0GpWwq.o)
is not supported"

After this error was returned and we check what package contained
libsicuuc.a we than downgraded libicu36-dev to libicu34-dev this
didn't solve the problem. Thus after more bashing my mate stumbled
across the following article
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg253544.html
which contained a patch. On attempting to apply this patch it returns
an error of

' patch: **** malformed patch at line 7:
TEST_ICUDATA_LIB="${ICUDATA_LIB-${i}data.a}" '

Can someone help, please I getting desperate to play CS: Source and DoD again.