Re: mrxvt and unicode locale

* Micha Feigin (michf@post.tau.ac.il) wrote:
> I tried setting my locale to unicode as is the default with a new debian
> install and set a unicode font with mrxvt
>
> Man pages show a bunch empty rectangles for some characters which are not drawn
> correctly and it won't show hebrew text (which shows up as junk as it seems
> that it's attempted to be drawn as iso-8859-8 instead of unicode).

Let me share with you what I had initially done to solve the problem.
If you put this in your .bash_profile you should take care of most of
the issues with boxes and such:

LC_CTYPE=en_US.iso-8859-1
export LC_CTYPE

This will change the relevant setting in your terminal to iso-8859-1
and that will mean no ugly boxes in mrxvt.  Unfortunately, you will
also not have unicode in the unicode supported terminals, such as
rxvt-unicode.  If you need to be able to open such a terminal you
would have to intentionally export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (I think that
is the correct one) either in that terminal or in the command to open
it.  But, if you basically use only mrxvt, as I did, then this should
take care of it.

Hope this helps,

Patrick