Re: WiFi: DWL-650 (original prism card) won't work with etch beta3

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 05:57:14 -0800, Sue Kim wrote:
> I plug my DWL-650 (original prism card) into my laptop and it just
> blinks and blinks and blinks, it doesn't pick up any APs. If I load my
> old HDD with debian on it it works (gets the APs etc).
>
> This is with etch beta3 on the new HDD. I really need help with this.
> I'm using the 2.6.16 kernel (LUKS full disk encryption aswell).

When you plug in the card, please check these things:

- Is a module loaded? I think it should be either "hermes" or
  "orinoco".

- What is the dmesg output related to the card?

- Is a new network device created in /sys/class/net/ ?

- Does "/sbin/iwconfig" list any network interfaces with wireless
  extensions? Does it show the MAC address of an access point? Can you
  set things like essid, key if you run iwconfig as root? What is the
  signal level/link quality?

- Does "/sbin/iwlist scan XXX" list any detected access points? ("XXX"
  being the name of the network device.)

- What happens if you run "dhclient XXX" to obtain a DHCP lease?

--
Regards,
          Florian