Re: swf to avi or other format

* Rodney D. Myers (rdmyers.42@gmail.com) wrote:
> My friends 6 year old daughter like this clip;
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF5NletBOvg
>
> And he was wondering how to go about getting the swf file to something
> linux can edit/read?

Here is one way to do it.  First, go to keepvid.com and paste in the
above address, choose youtube from the selections in the dropdown
menu, and then click download.  Just below you will see a "Download Link"
appear and you can right click and save it as xxx.flv or whatever.

The resulting file can be played, usually, in mplayer with the normal
command.  You can convert it very simply with something like 'mencoder
xxx.flv -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=mp3:abitrate=128 -o xxx.avi' I have seen
complaints about acodec=mp3, don't know why as it works in other
settings, and for these I will use pcm or whatever is available,
'mencoder -oac help' will tell you what you have.  You may also have
to adjust the framerates for both incoming and out.

The biggest problem is that some files will seem to play the video at
something like five times the normal speed, though the audio will be
fine.  This happens, BTW, for both the flv and the resulting avi.  I
don't know what causes this, and perhaps it can be worked around, but
I haven't found it out yet.  It may be the framerates being detected
wrong, as I think most of the youtube videos are at something like
18fps.  But, you may not have this problem.

HTH,

Patrick