Re: emacs and mutt

On 2006-11-01 03:38:54 +0000, Tyler wrote:
> I don't understand it, but it works. I'm only just starting to learn
> lisp, so I will have to do some reading before I understand everything
> your code does, but in the meantime I have word-wrapping (and probably a
> few other things as well).

I don't know very much about Emacs either (this is more a problem
related to Emacs than LISP), but a default mode is set by Emacs
when a file is opened. So, it's useless to try to choose a mode at
start up (i.e. before the file is opened), unless you give a generic
rule depending on the filename (auto-mode-alist) or on the contents
of the file (magic-mode-alist). For instance, I have the following
for XML files in my .emacs file:

(when (boundp 'magic-mode-alist)
  (push '("\\`<\\?xml" . nxml-mode) magic-mode-alist)
)

(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.xml\\'" . nxml-mode)
                            auto-mode-alist))

(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.xsl\\'" . nxml-mode)
                            auto-mode-alist))

That's why, if the above features (which aren't sufficient in my case
as I want to do other things than setting the mode) are not used, a
find-file hook is necessary. If I understand correctly, Emacs opens
the file with the find-file function: this does various things such
as setting the mode according to generic rules, then calls the hooks,
allowing you to override some settings and do other things -- that's
the goal of hooks.