Re: [Alsa-user] CA0106 problems

Gary Dawes wrote:
I'm still having problems with this audigy SE card. the card replaced a first gen soundblaster Live! which was working fine.

I've complied and installed Alsa 1.0.13 without any errors. the drivers appear to be loaded correctl. Alsamixer works and controls the card. I have capture setup on the line in, and I can control the level of feedback with the "capture feedback" and the analog volume sliders. muting the digital mutes the sound when digital is on which is what I'd expect.

However I can get no application to talk to the card. playing mp3s and wavs using mplayer, mpg123, or aplay just result in the player appearing to sit at the start of the file as if it's paused. Mythtv just gives audio buffer errors.

speaker-test ran with the options -c2 -twav -Dplug:front sits for a while on front-left, then returns a write error - 5 input/output error

various information is included below.

thanks Gary

hi gary,

i am using the audigy card with analog sound output, stereo, front, half a year on my good-old philips speakers and sometimes my amplifier and the big wharfdales (the 'good' ones, we built in '72).

when i try to start a mp3, m4a etc. _file with mplayer, the newest version ~1rc1, built from source by myself, mplayer without the gui installed, *seems* to start but gives it up allmost immediately. the same with video-files by starting the file with mouse-clicks with mplayer. with xine or mpg321(123) i have no trouble at all.

some research taught me that a possible cause is the absence of a pcm-slide_software in the driver: look at *alsamixer* and you see what i mean. (i am using the newest alsa_drivers, compiled by myself into my kernel 2.6.17-2-k7; on etch).

to make this somewhat clearer in a language which is not my own: without a gui, mplayer is only usable from the commandline, on my machine. in some earlier mplayer-versions you *could* start a file with the mouse. with the gui installed mplayer *does* play the the files, started with mouse_clicks, but complains it cannot find a pcm-controller so is unusable too.

i guess the solution is a driver with a pcm-slider included, like most other sound-cards.

my conclusion: for opening files with only mouse-clicks i am using xine (from source compiled and installed). for files from the commandline i use mplayer. and..., why all this trouble: i like puzzling and the audigy card is superb for my jazz-archive

regards,

steef