Re: reading MS word files

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 09:27:20 -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:

> I see from the descripton on debian's web page that Lyx (which I think
> is a GUI for LaTex) can inport MS Word.  For writing documents, I'm
> thinking of switching from Lout to LaTex, it wouldn't be much of a
> stretch to add Lyx.  You see, I can look on debian's web pages and in
> the package descriptions but few package descriptions say something like
> "this package only does basic stuff, for full capabilities use xxx".
>
> How good is Lyx at reading/viewing MS word files, including all
> formatting and images?

AFAIK it uses the wv* utilities to import word documents. Last time I
tried that it was quite OK for basic formatting and embedded bitmap
images (png, jpg). More advanced formatting required tweaking the latex
file afterwards. Embedded vector drawings (OLE objects, wmf, emf) were
not imported at all and just resulted in a blank space in the latex
output. I am not sure if I ever tried a document with mathematical
formulas, but I doubt that their conversion is well supported.

--
Regards,
          Florian