Re: reading MS word files

Douglas Tutty wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 07:43:29PM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
However, to just read properly .doc files that people email me thinking
that its the only format around, what works?  I need not just the text
but collumns, tables, images, the works.

Is there a way to convert them to PS and view with gv?

antiword

I know that it does the text but does it do everything?

If so, great.
Doug.

The way to find out is to take your browser; go to www.debian.org; find and follow the links to the page which allows you to search the package directories; search for antiword; read the description; if necessary, download, expand, and read the man page file, which listed on the Debian page which describes the package. And if all else fails, install the package and try it; you always can uninstall it.

Or search with Google.

(I know the answer; but you need to learn to make simple searches for yourself and to familiarize yourself with the resources provided by the Debian web site.)

RLH