Re: Console screen energy saving time control

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 08:24:24PM -0500, T wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:28:05 -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
>
> >> I'm wondering how I can configure my console screen energy saving time.
> >> ie, when my PC is left with tty screens.
> >>
> > man setterm
> > /usr/bin/setterm
>
> Thanks, I tried
>
>  setterm -powerdown 1
>
> but nothing happened, even after 2 minutes.

the man page for setterm under -powerdown says:

	If the console is blanked or the monitor is in suspend mode,
	then the monitor will go into vsync suspend mode or powerdown
	mode respectively after this period of time has elapsed.

So:  before the -powerdown time comes into effect, the monitor must be
in blank.  It will then go into vsync suspend.  It will then go into
powerdown.

You need to also set -blank

Doug.