Re: Is there a way of updating spamassassin rules?

This one time, at band camp, Martin Zobel-Helas said:
> On Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 23:21:06 +1100, Robert S wrote:
> > Thanks for the suggestions.  I had a bit of bother with
> > volatile-sloppy - spamc started timing out and a lot of spam got
> > through.  I ended up downgrading back to the sarge version.  It looks
> > like the latest version in sloppy needs to be compiled by hand.
> >
> > Think I'll wait until Etch becomes stable - that has 3.1.4, which I
> > believe contains sa-update.
> was there an error message? Also, did you had a look on [1]?
>
> I would be interessted in more information, as i am one of the persons
> behind debian-volatile.
>
> Greetings
> Martin
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-volatile/2005/12/msg00013.html

The most likely explanation is the increased hardware requirements with
newer versions of SA.  Frankly, it's just taking longer and longer to
scan messages at every upgrade.  I can well imagine that if the hardware
is several years old, it may just take too long, and trip an alarm.