Re: Classic Gnubie accident

> I don't have a problem getting at the files, booting single user or into a
> failsafe terminal as myself (username=anthony) the problem is exactly how to
> correctly 'check/fix owner/permissions until you are happy.'

You only need chown, chmod and ls.

# chown -R anthony:anthony /home/anthony
# chmod 755 /home/anthony

After that, 'ls -ld /home/anthony' should look like this (except for the
date shown):

drwxr-xr-x 66 anthony anthony 8.0K 2006-10-30 11:22 /home/anthony/

If you do not understand what the commands above do, I propose you read
something like this:

The Debian Reference Manual is also available via apt (package name:

I wish I could do more to put the sparkle back into my marriage.
[Agree]   [Disagree]