Re: why only root can wirte to dos partition and java obfuscate

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 04:34:11PM -0800, Serena Cantor wrote:
> I have sarge, hda1 is vfat, I mount it, but only root can write to it.
>
> How to add write permission to other users?

vfat doesn't have the concept of users/owners/permissions.  Mount
assigns one uid/gid to the whole vfat file system when it is mounted.
Man mount says that this defaults to the uid/gid of the 'current'
process, which would be that which mounts it, which was root durring
boot.

To get around this, add a uid= and gid= option to the mount command or
the entry in /etc/fstab.

Doug.