KDE/Kprinter and Postscript

At my company, we have a server called a Fax*Star.  This server runs on
Windows XP and shares a virtual printer via SMB.  The Windows driver used
is 'Generic / Text Only' and does not accept any Postscript jobs.  I'm trying
to send a text file to this printer using CUPS/KDE3.5/Etch using the
textonly.ppd driver from a Fedora package.

The problem I'm running into is that every KDE application seems to print it's
output as Postscript which will not work with this virtual printer.  I have
found that using the command

lpr -P FaxStar -h -l  textfile.txt

works.  I decided to try setting up a virtual printer with KDE's Printer
Manager to send the output to this command, but it fails because the output
from the KDE application (in this case KWrite) is in Postscript.  I there any
way to get a KDE application to print plain text instead of formating it to
plain text?