Re: switching from mbox to maildir in mutt, exim, etc.: how?

Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
>  I'm looking at my system backups and notice that there is some clutter
>  form mbox files being updated almost daily. I think the clutter would
>  be reduced by switching to maildir (true?), but I wonder about other
>  consequences of such a switch. In particular, when I google the topic
>  of how to switch, I find only people asking the question, and some
>  comment to the effect 'why bother?', but no answers. Is it a bad idea
>  for reasons which I have not yet fathomed? Where can I find a recent
>  HOWTO that adresses Debian issues, if it is not bad?

If the clutter is stuff that you want to retain but not have in your
mailbox, you need only write a cronjob:

   cat ${MAILDIR}/${f} | gzip >> \
       $SOME_ARCHIVE_MAIL_DIR/${YEAR}_Mail_${f}.gz
   cat /dev/null > ${MAILDIR}/${f}

(suitably idiot-proofed, of course).  :-)  As for converting, there are
utilities out there that convert mbox to maildir format.  Try
groups.google.* for that.  From what I know, mbox is purported to be
more brittle or less robust than maildir, but some traditional *nix
related tools prefer mbox.  I've never experienced the purported
brittleness.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html