Udev and hardware detection

Hello all,

I've been using udev hardware detection for some time to
bring up network interfaces etc as is default.  Am using
testing here.  It would seem however when the system needs
to do an fsck on an ext3 fs, the interfaces don't
automatically come up and I need to login from the console
to bring them up manually.  My interfaces file looks like
this:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
mtu 9000

allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet manual
up /sbin/dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth1.pid eth1
down cat /var/run/dhclient.eth1.pid | xargs -i kill -TERM {}
down rm -f /var/run/dhclient.eth1.pid
down ip link set eth1 down
post-up /etc/network/qos.sh

I'm not sure why the system would behave any different
based on whether it needs to fsck with one possible
exception.  What would happen if the FS was mounted
readonly when the hotplug event occured?  I assume at that
point, ifup wouldn't be able to write to its state files
and dhclient its pid and leases.

Shane

--
http://www.cm.nu/~shane/