Re: * Files under mount point '/proc' will be hidden.

Peter Easthope wrote:
cdebootstrap installed Etch to an old Toshiba Pentium II
laptop with no serious difficulty.

After hours of tinkering, the Pegasus driver finally
configs on eth2 and there is a LAN connection.  eth0
and eth1 do not exist.  Still no gateway access.

During startup these lines appear.
INIT: Version 2.86 booting
Setting hostname to newton...done.
* Files under mount point '/proc' will be hidden.

Any ideas about /proc or eth*?

Thanks,   Peter Easthope

I can't help with the eth* question ;(

I may be able to help on the 'files hidden' message. A mount point is just a directory in the filesystem, which may contain files. But when a mount is performed, any regular files in the directory will be 'hidden' since the mount takes precedence.

To see if this is the case, boot in rescue mode from a bootable CD, mount the hard disk root partition and CD to /.../proc (where ... is your mount point on the CD) and do an ls. If anything is there, then that answers the question, the system is detecting files before mounting and warning you that they will be hidden.

I would suggest, if this is the case, that you don't need to worry about them. You may even be able to remove (or move) them, though I can't be 100% certain that's OK, as I have no idea why they're there in the first place.

Bob