Problems with latest and greatest kernel source

Build ends with:

exec debian/rules  DEBIAN_REVISION=2.6.18-davidb-10.00.Custom
APPEND_TO_VERSION=-davidb  kernel_image
.config:3217:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol SECURITY_SECLVL
debian/ruleset/misc/version_vars.mk:123: *** Error. The version number # #
configuration written to .config # 2.6.18-davidb is not all lowercase. Since
the version ends up in the package name of the kernel image package, this is
a Debian policy violation, and the packaging system shall refuse to package
the image. .  Stop.

I did not assign the "Custom" if that is what it is kicking at. What is going
on?

Another "warning" before this error:
.config:3217:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol SECURITY_SECLVL

The .config was propagated from 2.6.17 and additional items filled as asked by
the make oldconfig for 2.6.18-1, another couple of items for 2.6.18-2.

As it seems quite common (though I did not clean), running a preliminary bare
"make" until c code is being compiled, stopping that and then going to the
makekpkg seems to work. This bare make seems needed to setup the various
scripts and such.