Opening a file from Kernel space

Hi,
I want to open the serilal driver (/dev/ttyS0) from the kernel space.
I need to write a character driver in the kernel (the requirements of
the project insist that it will be inside the kernel) that gets special
strings from user and pass them to the serial.

In order to implement that I thought of opening the serial driver as if
I was a user and with the file descriptor to read()/write()/ioctl()
etc...

Can I do this from the kernel space?
Do you have maybe a better idea how to implement?

Thanks
Hagit