User is "myname@(none)"

I had to do some minor reconfiguring on my LAN (basically just changing
the UPS), but it including having to juggle a few systems around and
reconnect cables.  Everything is set up as it should be, but now, when
I bring up, the host is "(none)" and when I log in, my prompt that
would normally be "myname@workstation" is now "myname@(none)".  I
haven't changed any config settings, but /etc/hostname is now an empty
file.

What could have changed this just through shutting down and rebooting?
I've never heard of this problem or anything else like it before.  I
can go through and change my settings to restore the host name, but I
don't want this to happen again.

Any suggestions what could have caused this?

Thanks!

Hal