Re: HOW2 resolve "apt-get install kernel-image" error ?

On Saturday 21 October 2006 20:39, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> When I
>     apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k7
>
> I get an error to the effect that:
>     kernel-image-* needs
>         initrd-tools >=0.1.48
> but,
>         initrd-tools-0.1.12 is in place,
>         according to
>         dpkg -l initrd-tools
>
> How can I cure this dilemma, please ?

I wonder whether you have installed packages from more than one release, for
example, some packages from Sarge (aka stable) and others from Etch (aka
testing).  If you have done that, you might have to compile your own
initrd-tools from deb-src.

I have a Sarge system but I had to install a few packages not found in Sarge,
so I used source packages from Etch and compiled on the machine that runs
Sarge, avoiding breaking my Sarge system with binaries from Etch.