Re: installing netfilter ipsets

On Saturday 21 October 2006 23:57, Pollywog wrote:
> I have a Sarge system on which I am installing ipsets, in order to use
> ipsets with Shorewall firewall.
>
> I am following the instructions here:
> http://ipset.netfilter.org/install.html
>
> I downloaded the iptables source from the link on that page, but it doesn't
> say there whether I must remove the iptables package from my system before
> installing iptables as directed.
>
> Does anyone know whether I must remove the iptables package that is now on
> my system?
>
> BTW I am compiling a kernel from kernel.org sources and it has been patched
> for ipsets using "Patch-o-matic"  The version is 2.6.17
>

> 8)

 apt-get remove iptables
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fail2ban ipset iptables shorewall webmin-shorewall
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 3174kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

It appears that if I do remove the iptables package, I will have to install a
dummy iptables package if I want to keep fail2ban and shorewall.