Re: perf question 100,000 directories vs 1 directory

misc@imerk.net wrote:
I'm working on a database application. We're going to have multiple
logins, say 100,000.
Performance wise would we see a difference if we had 100,000
directories with each users database in its own directory, versus
having 1 directory with all 100,000 databases in that single
directory?

Having 1 directory with more than 10,000 files is generally a bad idea since most used file systems use some kind of lists as directory structure. ReiserFS is file system which works OK with cases like 1,000,000 files in one directory.

I cannot speak of users database optimization without knowing more about your application.

--
Mladen Adamovic
http://www.online-utility.org http://www.cheapvps.info