re: modem internal or external

Always external otherwise it's time to buy a new computer after the next lightning hit. Internal modems allow lightning inside computers. External modems have a little wire and that can get hit and taken out and give you a chance that lightning stops with modem and doesn't go inside computer. Internal modems give you no chance that will not happen. I've been told putting a basic bite knot into wiring breaks the straight path lightning will need and can act to disrupt lightning as well. I would have this tested before betting my computer on it first though. I've found both boca and U.S.R. both far superior to zoom and those are the three external modem brands I've tried so that's the extent of my wisdom on modem brands and models. So far as the internal modem versus external modem is concerned I've been there; done that, and the T-shirt I got cost me $1,000.00 a few years back.