Re: modem: internal or external?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:51:25PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
> I'm building a new computer (Etch is installing over dial up now),
> but all my modems are internal ISA.  So unless I want to have to fire up
> my 486 just to dial out, I need a new modem.
>
> The MB has a serial port and I have 3 PCI slots, a PCI-E x 16 and 2
> PCI-E x1 free. (Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe AMD AM2, Athlon 3800+, 1GB ram, lvm
> on raid1 dual 80 GB Seagate SATA drives).
>
> What is the current wisdom for a solid reliable modem?  Should I go
> external via the serial port or internal?  Is USR still the defacto gold
> standard?
>
> As far as the computer itself goes, the only advantage of an external is
> that the bios has a power-on on ring via external modem.  I don't think
> I need that.

Internal or external, prepare to spend in the neighborhood of US$50 to
US$100 for a modem.  The reason is that you want a hardware modem, not
one of those crappy winmodems.  As long as go with that, you should be
OK.  I seem to remember about two years ago being in a discount
electronics store and picking up a box for a USR modem, about US$65, and
on the list of supported OS's, it included Linux 2.2.14+, or something
like that.  So, they are out there.

Regards,

-Roberto

--