Re: downloading the files using jigdo

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 05:27:55PM +0100, Martin Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am currently using Windows XP home and wanted to use Debian to see
> what it is like, now i have got Jigdo, and i am not sure what files i
> have to download using and how to actully use Jigdo.
>
> I have read the FAQs and the help documnet on the website but i am still
> confused on what i download and how to use Jigdo.
>
> Could you please help me.
>
> Thanks
> Martin

You could download a huge number of CD images (or the equivalent DVD
images), or you could just download just one netinst (net install)
CD image.

That one is enough to get started.  It will install you a minimal Debian
system -- just enough that you can boot it and finish the installation
over the net.  The effect of this is that you will download and install
just what you need, and not download the many, many gigabytes of
packages you don't want.

The net install CD is I thing about 100 to 150
Megabytes.  You'll save on downloading maybe 4G - 10G (does anyone
know exactly how much? of stuff you don't need depending on which Debian
distribution you are installing.

-- hendrik