recognition of dkpg file by OS

I tried to run dkpg.

mikef@spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc$ dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
bash: dkpg-reconfigure: command not found

As you see it didn't work.  So I tried using whereis

mikef@spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc$ whereis dkpg
dkpg:

Neither did that.

I thought, well it must be somewhere so I looked in /etc and typed

ls -l

It listed a whole of files including apt and well known files like emacs

In the list I saw

drwxr-xr-x   3 root   root      4096 2006-10-17 14:54 dpkg

But if you type in

ls -l dkpg you get
mikef@spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc$ pwd
/etc
mikef@spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc$ ls -l dkpg
ls: dkpg: No such file or directory
mikef@spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc$ ls -la dkpg
ls: dkpg: No such file or directory
mikef@spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc$

It's as if it is there but it cannot be seen. Is this some kind of file permission problem? Or is my OS not feeling well today....?

If you try to run dkpg i.e.

mikef@spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc$ /etc/dkpg
bash: /etc/dkpg: No such file or directory

it doesn't see it.

Being root doesn't help either.

spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc# /etc/dkpg
bash: /etc/dkpg: No such file or directory
spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc# ls -l dkpg
ls: dkpg: No such file or directory
spc2-burn3-0-0-cust329:/etc#

Suggestions welcome.

I hope this is a better posting this time.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters! http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters