Re: AVG anti-virus

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 05:21:36PM +0200, steef wrote:
> P. Johnson wrote:
> >steef wrote:
> >

> >>hi list,
> >>
> >>AVG (www.grisoft.com) has a in their opinion 'free' anti-virusprogram
> >>AVG. does debian (i.c. sarge and or etch) really need such a program?
> >>

> >Debian has ClamAV, though given that there are a total of 5 unix viruses,
> >and none of them in current circulation, virus scanners are mostly to
> >reduce mailbox clutter more than anything in Linux.
> >

> >>and, what is free? i cannot find their source-code on their webpage.
> >>

> >It's no-charge, not free.
> >

> thank you all for your comments.  i have decided to install AVG because
> i function here as mailserver for two maillistst, from - mostly-
> windows_machines via my debian-computer to other (mostly)
> windows_machines; with the exception of some french farmers who
> installed linux programs because they do not like bill gates and the
> macdonalds in their neighbourhood.

you sound like you've made up your mind, but... I think you're missing
the point, or the point went unsaid. YOu generally don't need av for
your debian box, BUT the av solutions for linux will also detect
windows viruses. And clamav is totally designed to interface with your
mail software and detect and strip all kinds of viruses from the email
it handles. Plus its properly supported in the apt system with updates
etc which you won't get from the AVG program. debian-admin website has
several articles on incorporating virus scanning and removal into a
variety of mail solutions.

hth.