mkisofs question

What's the real deal with the --split-output option? The man page says the subsequent files made will be under a gig but it would be far more useful to know if those files will be no larger than the first file made. I don't want to do a multi disc backup and find I can't burn subsequent discs because the program made them too large. This was probably the same concern of the multicd program since he hasn't yet implemented iso9660 as a backup format.