Re: monitor swap-out and regeneration of deleted xorg.conf

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 02:42:10AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> Running Etch on a i386, I switched monitors and ran "dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg"; but the system returned an error message, saying that the
> configuration file would not be written because it had been customized.
>
> Another problem is that the configuration routine would not allow me to
> specify monitor parameters (horizontal synchronization rate, vertical
> refresh rate, desired resolutions).
>
> I tried also "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" and had the same
> result.

If you want more control you need '-plow'.

> Next, I deleted "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and again ran "dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg", but X would not start.
>
> Is there a way to regenerate "xorg.conf"?

There was a trick involving dexconf. It was discussed just a few weeks
ago, you could search the archives.

HTH
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)