Re: NTP weirdness

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 08:02:12PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > I have two machines which are running NTP.  They both synchronize to
> > these servers in /etc/ntp.conf:
> >
> > server ntp2.usno.navy.mil
> > server ntp-1.vt.edu
> > server ntp-2.vt.edu
> >
> > Now, here is where the weidrness comes in.  The two servers' clocks are
> > perfectly in sync.  I have three machines (2 desktops/1 laptop)  which
> > synchronize to the two above named servers (not the upstream NTP
> > servers).  Anyhow, two of them are always within five seconds of the two
> > local NTP servers.  The third machine gains about 5 minutes every two
>
> Any NTP drift above half a second means something is completely broken, so
> *none* of your client machines are working fine.  The two servers seem to
> work right.  Make sure to also configure the two servers to *peer* each
> other, btw.

vague memories in my head that ntp won't sync more than a half second
or so at a time, you have to use something else to get them closer and
then ntp can do it. I've used ntpdate in the past as a one-time sync
and then its worked after that. Also had a machine that was drifter
faster than ntp could keep up with, but after a few days of hitting
ntpdate randomly, it was able to calculate the drift enough to keep up
after that point. this is all vague memory, ymmv widely.