Re: Debian & Old Toshiba Laptop

Scarletdown wrote:
On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 01:07 -0400, Kai wrote:

I have a very old Toshiba laptop and I am looking to put Debian or
some other form of linux on it.
Details:
CPU: Pentium I
HD: ~700MB
RAM: 16MB
2 PC Card slots, but some newer cards (such as wireless cards) do not fit
Linksys EtherFast PC Card
A wireless router, however I can not seem to set up a Windows network on it
A Sony Vaio CD-RW drive PC Card
an external bootable floppy drive on a special floppy port
A working dock with parallel, serial, PS/2 and monitor ports

I can boot and install from a large stack of floppys (20-25 disks),
but I want to install from a CD or network and choose certain
packages. I can access the CD during installation, and after install,
but I can't boot from it, even using a Smart Boot Manager floppy. I
want to install any base packages (preferably ash, not bash), and I
want to use Xfce or IceWM-lite as a GUI, because the computer is so
limited.

The simplest way to get started is to get an adapter so you can plug the
hard drive into the IDE controller of a desktop computer that can boot

Can Debian run in 16MB of RAM?

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.