Re: how to play .wmv files on Debian..???

The long and the short...

The short: install w32codecs package after enabling the repository http://www.debian-multimedia.org

The long:

As far as I'm aware, no matter whether you're using Gnome or KDE you need to do the following at the terminal (can probably be done with synaptic too but I find this quicker and easier):

su -
[enter root password]
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following line to the end of the file:

#codecs
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

Change "etch" to whichever distribution you are using i.e. sarge or sid. Exit and save the file (ctrl-x) then back at the terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install w32codecs

And that's it! .wmv should now play in any media player that handles video: I myself use Totem with Xine backend as supplied by default in Debian but it will work just as well with mplayer etc. Hope this helps, ooo and .mp3 etc should all work too!

--
Jon