changing the MBR for a dual-bootup system

Hi all,
I am running Debian Etch 2.6.15-1-686 on an Asus motherboard with an AMD64
chip. Etch is running on /dev/hda. I wanted to try out the 64bit kernel so
I installed a second HD /dev/hdb and installed Sid amd64 from scratch. I
didn't want to get involved in chroot type stuff which is why I did it this
way. Both systems use grub but the MBR is pointing to /dev/hdb for the
menu.1st file. When I upgraded the kernel on the Etch 686 system of course
I had to copy the newly created menu.1st item from Etch to the menu.1st
file on Sid amd64 in order for it to show up on the grub menu on bootup.
That was ok for a while but now I'm getting disk errors on /dev/hdb. I can
still boot into Etch ok but I would like to change things so that the MBR
looks at /dev/hda instead of /dev/hdb. I may have to replace the hdb drive
if reformatting and reinstalling Sid amd64 don't clear up the problems.

Can someone tell me how to tell grub to ignore /dev/hdb and look at /dev/hda
for the bootup menu?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jonathan