Epson Perfection 3590 Scanner seen by sane-find-scanner but not by scanimage -L

Hi. I'm trying to get an Epson Perfection 3590 Scanner working with Debian Stable, kernel 2.6.8-2-386.

sane-find-scanner reports:

"found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0122) at libusb:001:010"

I pulled the Esfw52.bin file out of the cabs provided with the scanner and put it into /etc/sane.d/firmware.

I created files in /dev, following the directions I saw on a link though this didn't make sense to me. The files I created are:
"sudo mknod /dev/usbscanner0 c 180 48"
"sudo mknod /dev/usb/scanner0 c 180 48"
"sudo chmod 0666 /dev/usbscanner0"
"sudo chmod 0666 /dev/usb/scanner0"

I am not clear whether I needed to change the owner or group for these files. Right now they are root:root.

I updated snapscan.conf with the following three blocks of text:

f"irmware /etc/sane.d/firmware/Esfw52.bin"

"/dev/usb/scanner0 bus=usb"

# Epson Perfection 3590
"usb 0x04b8 0x0122"

Ok. Now, rather than returning no scanner found, scanimage -L hangs.

Has anyone successfully installed this scanner or, looking at what I did, if you see an issue, any instructions or pointing me in the right direction would be very appreciated.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Eric