Re: installing Debian on a dual boot Fedora Core 5/Windows PC

From: Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net>
To: Michael Fothergill <mikef20000@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: installing Debian on a dual boot Fedora Core 5/Windows PC
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:12:03 -0500

Michael Fothergill wrote:

A: Because it reverses the normal order of conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting undesirable

Thanks for the reply.

What I would want is to install Debian with its own partition set on one of the disks I am using. It will have to either be on the same disk as Windows called hda in my set up or on the same disk as Fedora hdb. The Windows disk is bigger I think at 40GB than the Fedora one (10GB). Windows takes up a tiny amount of space. So there would be scope I guess to make some partitions to put Debian on disk hda. I also want to be able to switch between the three OSes when the machine boots.

Did you mean this to go to the list?

Yes, I did mean to put it on the list. The list I usually subscribe to is one where if someone replies to a posting I make then I then respond to their personal email and the list. I forgot to do this. But maybe you don't do this on this list.

mikef

If I follow your suggestion I suppose I can change GRUB within Fedora and if I do it correctly then when I reboot it will then see the Debian install I make and then I can choose between all three OSes.

I will have a go.

I'm not an expert at installing Debian. But ISTM that what you
need to do is install Debian, and do nothing about installing
GRUB anywhere. Then edit your current GRUB configuration to
boot the new kernel.

That's it.

Michael Fothergill

HTH