choppy sound with via ingame, sb resets on reboot

Hello list,

on a new installation of Etch, up to date, have a sound problem. The
onboard chip is a Via 8235 and was detected on install and works fine
except giving choppy sound which slows the game down significantly when
playing lxdoom (yes a bit of retro fun).

Put in an old SB Live 512 (PCI), gameplay is fine with this, but I have
to run alsaconf every time before wanting to play as on boot the machine
defaults to the Via chip again.
Alsamixer then (after alsaconf) shows SB live where before it would only
show the Via chip.
Problem is with this that I loose my network connection on eth0 every
time I run alsaconf. Network is a Realtek card, NOT integrated so should
be independent from the via chip.

Any ideas for a more elegant solution than what I'm doing now? Would it
help to disable onboard sound in the BIOS ?

Thanks a bunch -

--
Kind Regards,
B. Hoffmann