Re: How to synchronise NFS uid

On 12.10.06 21:49, HXC wrote:
> There are folders in my NFS share that I would like to keep private. I
> gave the same permissions as my home folder (my username). Unfortunatly
> my username has the same UID as the computer computer thus my username
> becomes the username of the clients computer.

UIDs are translated on the machine where you use them, only UID/GID numbers
are transferred via NFS.

That's the native feature of NFS filesystem (afaik, NFS version four uses
user@domain instead of UIDS)

Note that NFS was created (by SUN microsystems) for homogenous networks
where all people/computers used same shared password databases (e.g. NIS,
formerly known as YP).

For this reason is it (was) not safe for environments where anyone (read:
admin of each system) can set up any access rights (s)he wants.

> How can I prevent this? In other words how do I synchronize the UID of the
> client and the host computer? Thanks in advance!

I think package 'ugidd' is what you may try.
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?