Re: Linux and Newest Hardware

On 10/12/06 15:38, Seth Goodman wrote:
> Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote on
> Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:58 AM -0500:
>
>> Seth,
>>
>> I think you mix up two different things:
>> - if you want to by recent hardware, as a good rule, it is not cheap.
>> - if you settle for not so recent hardware, it will be cheaper and it
>> will be supported by linux.
>>
>> Personally on a low budget, I don't see the reasoning in buying the
>> latest hardware, that is a factor of say 2 more powerful at a factor
>> of 4 higher prices.
>>
>> On the other hand: if you are looking for good and recent hardware it
>> will be expensive, but if you select a linux friendly manufacturer it
>> will be also supported by linux.
>
> OK, let me tell you why I believe I'm not mixed up ... at least on this.
> I actually said commodity hardware.  I meant the stage where hardware
> and drivers are stable, there are multiple mainstream suppliers and they
> are priced as commodities.  With the short product lifetimes of consumer
> electronics, that means recent, though not bleeding edge.
>
> What exactly is that today?  It's completely a matter of opinion.  My
> notion is something like a 2GHz 64-bit AMD or 3GHz Intel processor,
> 256MB DDR RAM, graphics chipset on motherboard, USB2.0 ports, DVD writer
> and a 150MB+ (modern) hard drive.  Purchasing a USB keyboard or wireless
> mouse at the local store should neither require a trip to the list nor
> compiling a kernel.  Such systems are plentiful, stable and cheap from
> mainstream manufacturers, even with the preinstalled commercial O/S.
>
> Buying commodity hardware like this from a shop that preinstalls Linux,
> or is at least responsible for compatibility, will normally cost a lot
> more.  It is extremely hard for small shops to compete with the
> WalMarts, eMachines and Microsofts of the world.  They can only do so by
> not making much profit, or being subsidized by their customers' good
> will.

The only issue in what you mentioned is the /graphics chipset on
motherboard/.

They'll work well enough to watch movies on a 1.6GHz Athlon32, but
not well enough to play high-intensity lines.  This is from personal
experience.

Now I've got a slightly more modern system with a really old GeForce
FX 5200 that works great with the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.

According to the NVIDIA docs:
  2006-05-22 version 1.0-8762
    * Added support for new GPUs, such as QuadroFX 4500 X2, Quadro
      FX 5500, Quadro FX 3500, and Quadro FX 1500.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?